The First Baltimore Horse Artillery
“The Unsung Forgotten Elite Troop”
A War of 1812 Bicentennial Exhibit at Clifton Mansion
Captain Henry Thompson’s home from 1803-1837
Baltimore City’s only remaining home of an officer in the War of 1812
This cavalry troop was unidentified in past history accounts because it was a detached unit and referred to by various names including the Captain Thompson Company of Volunteer Horse Artillery and Captain Thompson’s Independent Horse Artillery.
It served as the observation/messenger unit for Brigadier General Stricker, reporting on the actions at Bladensburg, and during the Battle of Baltimore for Major General Samuel Smith at North Point and Fort McHenry, in addition to being Smith’s personal guard.
The First Baltimore Horse Artillery was made up of many of the prominent merchants of Baltimore including three sons of John Eager Howard, two sons of Robert Patterson, George Brown of Alex Brown & Sons, Lloyd Nicolas Rogers of “Druid Hill”, and George Carr Grundy of “Bolton.”
See more at: http://www.henrythompsonofclifton.org/Site/Home.html